Monday, March 15, 2004

I hate Iowa weather!!!

I am sooo sick of this stupid snow. It has been snowing since I woke up this morning. Amanda, Kristen and I ate at the Ground Round after a little tkd workout with Josh. We were in there for about an hour and when we left, I had about 4" of snow on my car!!! Driving home wasn't fun either. I don't think I got over 25 mph. I only saw one snow plow and it was on the other side of the road. It doesn't look like they have been down Westgate St. once yet. We do have one of those speedometer things on our street though. Of course it is towards our end of the street facing towards Melrose, so it is only at the one end of the street with the least amount of traffic and it is after the hill so you can't see it until you are close to it anyway. How dumb!! At least I know the speed limit on our street now though I think I have only seen one police car around here since I moved in.

I was just going to say that I think my roommate had disappeared, but I just heard her. I haven't seen her more than 3 seconds today and she didn't come to work. Which is weird since last week someone else had to do some of her work since she was so far behind. Oh well, not my problem!!

I have a better idea of what I think of The Passion of the Christ now. It was a very good telling of the story. I could definitely tell it was a Catholic interpretation of the scriptures. I actually read it again today to get a better idea of what was going on. I still haven't figured out why Mary and Mary Magdalene mopped up Jesus' blood from the ground. I knew what was going to happen when I walked into the theater, but I wasn't quite prepared for the violence depicted. I have the same question as Amanda; what was the reason for all the violence? When I read the version in Matthew today, there wasn't a mention about how violent it was. There was a lot of mocking of him, but no details of the violence. I guess I never really thought of them beating Jesus before the crucifixion. Every other movie or musical (i.e. Godspell, Jesus Christ Superstar, the Easter cantata at my chruch) I have seen about Jesus and the crucifixion has never portrayed that amount of violence. The woman portraying Satan was very creepy, as Amanda mentioned, but so was the "baby" Satan carried at one point. I can see why anti-Semitism was an issue, even though a line that would have made it seem very anti-Semitic was removed. As far as I can tell, it follows the scruptures very closely. What was said was what was written. I can also see why the violence may seem excessive. I am very glad I saw it, and I am glad I went with the people I did. I am not sure whether I would watch it again or not. It was hard to watch.

No comments: