Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Finally! Some success!

I have successfully inserted a gene I cloned into a bacterial vector. I got a tip from a co-worker and my ligation reaction worked! Well...1 of 20 bacterial colonies I screened had the inserted gene, but I only need one! Who says your success rate should be over 5% anyway? I am doing one more thing to verify it is actually in there then I am going to clone a bunch of it so I don't have to worry about it anymore and I can have plenty for my next step!

Now for something completely different...

Is it weird that I have memorized my 14-digit library card number? I think I am a nerd.

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

Thanks! It feels really good. I don't feel like a complete failure anymore. Josh didn't get it either; so don't feel bad.

Technomage said...

Oh Boy! I can just taste those BBQ frog legs right now.


Think you also need to work a bacteria that produces beer. I perfer ales, but I'll take any of the leading brands right now. I jknow how tricky things can be in the lab.

Amanda said...

Congratumalations! I [heart] progress!