Thursday, March 01, 2007

Our club's youth tournament was last night. I ended up checking everyone in and handing out t-shirts and judging sparring. I was very impressed with the kids from the GymNest. They really held their own. They generally don't get as much sparring experience as the kids from the Field House, so it's good to see them doing well. I was also happy with their forms. Two of the yellow belts I work with a lot place first and second in their division! Two of the green blue tips I also often work with did the same! It was so nice to hear they did well. I like to think I am a good instructor. I can't say I love teaching, but I do enjoy knowing my students do well. It's still weird to think I have students.

I started teaching tae kwon do when I was about the age of many of my students. I was teaching before I had my black belt, so I was probably 9 or 10. My dad ran a tae kwon do club out of several locations and I was often one of the higher ranking students in the class. Not only that, but I was the instructor's daughter. I was often put in charge of a small group and usually taught forms. I also was the floor judge at testings which meant I had to run the testing. It's funny that I often was put in a leadership type role because I hate being in charge.

No comments: