Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Small changes

I have been trying to make small changes that not only save money but are lest wasteful and less horrible for the environment. So far I have become a little fanatical about what gets recycled at our place, replaced our laundry detergent with some homemade phosphate-free detergent, replaced the kitchen cleaner with some homemade (and cheap!) cleaner, take public transportation to and from work, bring reusable bags to the grocery store and mall(when I remember) and now I am working on replacing paper towels with microfiber towels and other reusable towels after reading this article. Not only will it save money but it's less wasteful.

When Josh and I get our house we are going to try to make it as energy efficient as we can afford. Since Josh works at Lowe's (is there an apostrophe in Lowe's? I should know this), he is fairly informed about appliances and can get good deals sometimes. I am also going to look into fume-free paints. Can you tell I am a little excited about owning a home? We have been spending way more time talking about buying a house than planning a wedding.

I really wanted to finish the Zombies yesterday, well actually Monday, but realized quickly that was not going to happen. I have a couple more rows before the gusset is done, which will be a relief. I can get rid of the dpns I am using to hold the extra stitches!

Any ideas what I should have for dinner tonight? We kind of indulged during our long weekend so I am thinking something healthy, but I have some fingerling potatoes I really want to slice, roast and cover in parmesan. Mmmm.... I made beef stew and soda bread this weekend as well as pancakes and oatmeal scones, so we have had our share of hearty food. Salads would probably be a good choice. I guess the parmesan covered potatoes can wait.

2 comments:

AndreaLea said...

How's the homemade laundry detergent? I'm scared to make/try some.
I can't remember to take grocery bags to the store either. But I did see a good idea one of the last times I was shopping. This guy had a stack of paper sacks folded in half and rubber banded together. So easy! I can do that and keep it in the car.
We've switched to cloth napkins at my house. I made ours out of some organic cotton dishtowels from Target. Had to cut them all and hem the edges but I'm really pleased with how they turned out. And we try to use cloth towels but still have paper towels around just in case.
Sorry that this has turned into the longest comment ever!!

Dawn said...

Fellow Baylor Ball Bander stopping by to give you a big "Ra, Ra, Sis, Boom, Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!" Knit, Chelseachip knit...only 10 spots left to make it through to round 2...you can do it!