Friday, June 13, 2008

I so need a canoe or maybe a paddle boat


This video (which I "stole" from Libby shows what happened when dirt railroad levee close to the Iowa River broke due to the flood waters. I didn't go to work today because I didn't want to get stuck there since almost every route to and from there is currently flooded with water or traffic or both. We are hoping to get to Eldora and then on to MN this weekend to look at apartments, but it may be hard to get that far north. I think there are still a couple routes we can use.

I did go down to the river this morning and took some pictures, don't worry, the water was barely above my toes, but my camera didn't save them for some reason. The parking lots behind my apartment for BK and a couple businesses are flooded due to water coming out of the sewers.

4 comments:

KnittingHawkeye said...

Steve and I fled to my parents house in Rockford on Wednesday. I'm glad we did because I had a feeling coralville would flood. Goodluck and stay dry!

Libby said...

I originally "stole" the video link from KCRG.

I'm at work,but not sure I'll be able to get home. I think I'm down to I-80 as my only option, and it will likely take longer than usual.

This is so freaking insane. I absolutely can't believe the pictures, and am resisting the temptation to go see some of it for myself (and I will stay away as ordered).

Be safe on your travels!

Anonymous said...

Is there flooding in Eldora? I am worried about my granddaughter and can't call her.

janna said...

Isn't this crazy? Good luck trying to go north - it looks like going over to I-35 is your best bet (since they just closed 380!) I'm leaving tomorrow morning for my mom's, heading south then east. Just have to get over the Mississippi....